Font Awesome Icons
Font Awesome icons are a font collection of scalable, vector-based icons that can be customized to your site's design. There are thousands to choose from, and you can customize the size, color, and just about any other attribute. They provide visual interest to your content and make it easier to scan.
Folwell has been built to include the Font Awesome 5.0 library.
Font Awesome is a library of icons that can be implemented in the site. Recommended usage of the icons is to define them in CSS. Work with your local developer to implement this.
There are four important parts to include when referencing any individual icon using CSS pseudo-elements:
- Set the pseudo-element to match either the ::before or ::after
- Set the font-family to Font Awesome 5 Free
- Set the font-weight: 900 (Solid), 400 (Regular or Brands), 300 (Light)
- Set the content to the unicode value of the icon you want
font-family: "Font Awesome 5 Free";
Please note: Including Font Awesome in the CKEditor is another alternative, but it must be set up carefully. Take care not to disable any filters or accidentally rearrange or enable/disable any filters. Improper configuration can cause security issues and may make some features not work.
- Navigate to Configurations > Content authoring > Text formats and editor.
- Select Folwell CKEditor from the list and click “configure” button.
- The Font Awesome Icon plugin is represented by the Font Awesome flag. Simply drag it to the last position of the Tools section of the toolbar.
- Scroll down and make sure your “Filter processing order” section has the sections in the following order.
- The Font Awesome flag icon will now be available to you in the Folwell CKEditor. Note: the Font Awesome flag looks similar to the Anchor flag. The Font Awesome flag appears slightly wider. Mousing over the icons will display the name of the icon.
- To add a Font awesome icon, you can either find the icon names from the Font Awesome icons list, or you can simply begin typing and the autocomplete will show you the available icons with that name.
- After selecting an icon, you can then choose from the icon settings under the “Additional Font Awesome Settings” header. This allows you to choose icon weight, icon size, and many other options.
When using icons, it is important for accessibility and comprehension to include text that provides meaning. The icon cannot stand alone as a label.
Font Awesome icons are fully accessible and have been tested for usability.